John Clarke Center History

The history of the John Clarke Retirement Center began in 1875 with the construction of a Newport manor for Mr. and Mrs. Watts Sherman.  After the Shermans vacated, the American Baptist Churches of Rhode Island decided that the home would be a perfect location to house members of the elderly Baptist community.  It was from that decision that The Baptist Home of Rhode Island was created and put into service in 1953.

The Baptist Home catered to the elderly until the late 1970’s when it was determined that a larger facility would be needed to provide to an increased number of residents.  The Home’s board of directors dreamed of a structure that would have enough room to comfortably house both retirees and elderly men and women requiring skilled nursing.  It was with this goal in mind that a beautiful four acre property was purchased in scenic Middletown, RI.  The land was purchased from the John Clarke Trust, and as a sign of respect to the venerable minister, The Baptist Home of Rhode Island became The John Clarke Retirement Center.

Since it was built in 1980, The John Clarke Retirement Center has been meeting the needs of Aquidneck Island elders by providing 60 skilled nursing beds and 50 apartments for independent senior living.  In keeping with our Baptist roots, John Clarke has a full time non-denominational Chaplain on staff to meet the spiritual needs of our residents.  We believe that a holistic approach, attention to both body and soul, is the best route to wellness.